Saturday, 18 June 2016

Turning Into a Grumpy Old Git

My dad always signs off emails to me as being from ‘the old git’ and sometimes he refers to himself as being grumpy or going on rants, or sometimes even sermons. I’ve never really thought about it before but it seems it is far from unique to him, it seems with age comes a certain amount of grumpiness, of ‘Gittitude’ if you’ll pardon my newly invented word.

When I was 16 I was in a band writing songs and I used to love playing the latest Call of Duty, or Battlefield or whatever. I didn’t take time to questions things, be they politics, art, culture, relationships or whatever.

Now I’m 23, I gave up being in a band because drummers are temperamental tub thumping cry babies (Sorry to my dad and brother, Mike Portnoy, Manu Katche et al). I’m sick of games constantly regurgitating the same nonsense over and over again and have shrank my group of friends down due to a simple lack of time and patience for people I deem to be nobs. I have views on culture, on politics, on ethics, on philosophy. I sometimes rant, I sometimes get grumpy with people who don’t see things my way (the right way!). Simply put I am turning, slowly but surely, into a bitter, grumpy old git.

Take the time to look at people in your family, look at the greying hair, tiring eyes, furrowing brows, think about them - do they rant? Can they be ‘holier than thou’? Are they right and you, young whipper snapper that you are, wrong? One day that will be you - I can feel the change happening slowly, one that will likely take a couple of decades.

Don’t fight it. Have fun with it. Embrace it.





No comments:

Post a Comment