Wednesday, 31 August 2016

Marble Hornets

I know hundreds of thousands, perhaps even a million or more, have heard of and/or watched Marble Hornets; the YouTube series which aided in putting Slender Man, and the idea of YouTube based horror, on the map. I also know I can’t be the only one who only heard of it recently. I started watching it earlier this month and finished it yesterday.
I loved every second.
Marble Hornets covers the making of a student film called, you guessed it, Marble Hornets. It follows Alex, Tim, Jay and some others on a journey into mystery, paranoia and just a sprinkling of death. It’s filmed on handheld and chest mounted cameras in a found footage style that works perfectly on YouTube. The acting can occasionally be a bit amateurish but for the most part this is a very well executed series with simple but brilliant effects.
The story lasts for over a hundred videos and several hours but it never gets dull. It starts off relatively simple but develops into a web of paranoid delusions and betrayal. The story constantly makes you ask questions, seldom giving you answers, but the pacing is such that it never becomes frustrating. It’s hard not to binge through it as you and the characters edge ever closer to the truth.
For me it’s also noteworthy for making me understand the Slender Man. Prior to watching this I found him to be a laughable concept. A skinny white dude in a suit who wasn’t remotely scary outside of one or two jump scares. Now I understand his capabilities, I understand why he has become such a phenomenon and he frightens me.
It’s a fantastic series and, thanks to it being on YouTube, is totally free so if you like horror I highly recommend you check this out.

Looking at this makes me want to watch it again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment